Monday, March 2, 2009

Kentucky Fried Chicken Legs

How's it?

Last weekend Lindenwood kicked off our collegiate cycling campaign with a trip to Kentucky to the south. Well as soon as we crossed the border the stories I had heard about Kentucky being pretty Hillbilly were confirmed when we drove past "Joe Bob's Flower Mart". Anyway to the racing. Saturday was the 64 mile road race (100km (I think...)) and it pissed down rain the whole race, then the rain gave way to ice with about 20 miles to go and then the ice gave way to snow for the remainder of the race. Good times let me tell you. Then there was the wind, as they say it would of "blown a dog off it's chain" and I think thats all that needs to be said about that. I was almost dropped on the second lap of the race but managed to crawl back on and lead Norris out for the bunch kick. Team mate Frank was up the road in a group of 8 and got us some sweet points coming in 7th. From the 70-80 starters about 25 finished the road race just to give you an idea how hard the race was.
Sunday morning we rock up to the crit and were greeted with the most ridiculous crit course I have ever seen. Half a mile (800m) loop with 15 corners, held on what could be best described as a goat track. Some of the bigger schools decided it wasn't worth the trip to the hospital so early in the season but by the gentle persuasion of our coach we lined up. Well once the dust had settled we finished with 5 riders in the top 20 picking up some more valuable conference points. I have to point out here that I was the only Lindenwood rider not to crash in the crit and managed to creep over in ninth, see kids sometimes it's cool to be a pussy.
All in all we had a pretty good weekend, it was a good learning experience for myself and also for the team as six of us are rookie collegiate cyclists. I'm still pretty bummed we didn't get to eat at KFC but we did get to go to a real honky tonk bar which included feral locals that speak a thick southern accent say funny things like "hey boy!" and "getter done!".

My mum is visiting this week and I'm off now to show my her the sights around St.Charles.
Until next time, take care.
Chev.
P.S. Other possible post tittles included:
KFC (Kentucky Fried Chev)
KFC (Kentucky's F*#king Crazy)
Not Getting Lucky in Kentucky

1 comment:

Francis Hamre said...

Kentucky Fried Chev would have been good.