Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Missouri State Track Champs

G'day. Life really hasn't slowed down since I posted last it's been an epic couple of days. Last weekend, as part of the Lindenwood team I competed in the Missouri State Track Championships.

Saturday was the 1000m time trial (Kilo) and the sprints which I managed to finish well down the field in the Kilo and didn't qualify for the sprints which I wasn't to concerned about as most people know I'm not the greatest sprinter to grace a bicycle. Sunday was the endurance events; the 4km pursuit, the points race and scratch race. The pursuit was going well until 4 laps in to the 12 lap event my seat clamp failed and my seat dropped right down so it looked like I was riding a BMX.


After some pretty poor personal performances and mechanicals I was motivated to make up some lost ground and with some awesome work by my team mates Owen and Timmy I was able to slip off the front in the 40 lap points race and win it by 9 points and a lap up. The points race was long, fast and hot but is only an apitiser for the 70 lap points race we will be competing in at nationals. After the points race it was decided we were to call it a day because we had to head back to school for the mandatory 'physical' that all atheletes have to have when we were told that Owen was in contention for the Omnium, which the most points for over all in the weekends competition. So after skulling the cold and very refreshing Budweiser I was enjoying, it was straight to the start line for the scratch race which was shortened to 14 laps. The game plan was for Timmy and I to attack as much as possible making everyone else chase and then for Owen to launch an attack towards the end. The plan worked almost perfectly with Tim and I having done our job Owen launched an attack three laps out which stuck to the end which he was able to roll over in third and in doing so winning the state Omnium Jersey. For the record I spent 200m in the last lap spewing that lovely Budweiser up.


This weekend we are heading to Indianapolis for some track and crit racing, so it should be a serious sharpening up of the legs and a form tester.


Until next time, take care.
Ciao, Chev.

2 comments:

Paddy Kilmurray said...

4 years of dream living ahead, HC4L

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.