Saturday, January 10, 2009

Pots or Pints?

Hey all,
Apologies for the lack of updates lately but I have been away from the net for 2 weeks, BUT I do have stories to tell so listen in.

Well it said riders wanted...


On the 30th of December myself, Cliff Lyons and Matt Cammo packed up the old faithful Toyota Kluger and headed on the 1000km journey south to Melbourne for New Years and Bay Crits. Meeting us down there on NYE was Mr. PJL Kilmurray as this is the second year we have gone down for the festivities and racing and is now pretty much tradition.

Yeah...we had some spare time on our hands. Paddy bench pressing Cammo


It was cool to play tourist in Melbourne for a couple of days cementing my notion that it is definitely one of the best cities I have been to in the world. We did the obligatory dinner on the famous Lygon Street, shopped on the ever so trendy Chapel Street and also checked out St.Kilda Beach. Paris Hilton was spotted shopping on Chapel Street the day before we were there so you know it's good. New Years was again a massive blast, I won't digress but I will say we certainly met some interesting characters on the train that night.

Old Tram on Chappel Street.

Bay Crits...Hmmm. As cricket season is full swing down here in Australia I will use a Tony Greig cliche quote to sum up the five days of racing at Bay Crits "hard and fast!!!". It was good training lets just put it that way as I was able to knock up 3-4 hours each day on the bike so I guess it's not all bad.

Last day of Bay Crits

The whole week around Bay Crits its pretty cool as you are always spotting pros out riding or just hanging out in cafes, sometimes this is a bad thing if you read Paddy's blog you will understand. Another cool thing was seeing Rockin' Robbie turn up on that start line of the first stage in a taxi, quickly build his bike then immediately start the race.

I have to say that the whole two weeks have been extremely enjoyable even if I was getting pumped in the races and hours of hard training thanks to having good mates around.

Cammos best surfer pose at Torquay.

After dropping Cammo at the airport I made my way solo up to the town of Bright which is nestled right in the middle of the Victorian Alps for a four day training camp with my coach Aaron and his squad of hyperactive Tri-Athletes. I have been to bright a couple of times now and I think its probably the best place in Aus to train as there is an abundance of climbs and good roads. My legs were super tired after Bay Crits and throw in 2, 30km+ climbs, 100kms of motor pacing and another 12km climb, I was ready for my coffin. But I can be happy knowing that I have started putting a solid base down for the coming road season.

Bryce (aka Bruce, Cron Dog, Koby Abberton) atop of Tawonga Gap

Two weeks today until I go back to the USA, until then it's more of the same: hang with the family,enjoy lots of good food and wine, chill at the beach and maybe a bit of training.

Until next time, take care. Chev.
Don't forget to leave a comment either!

1 comment:

bryce fernley said...

hey chev you chron dog,
it was hard to find ur profile coz i forgot ur last name so i typed chevroloski in.. nar
daww how fun was the bike camp!
have u recovered? my toe does not look to be getting better... oh well atleast i can still ride!
im thinking of cutting off coz its no good to me anyway!well i thought i would just see how u doin.. im goin to go work on my tan line now... haha..
cya soonish..
p.s i dont know how this thing works so heres my email bryce_fernley@hotmail.com